In our Sunday sermon series “The Generosity of God”, I have tried to convey that our ability to be generous in every area of our lives will only take place when our hearts are being changed by God.
The essence of a changed heart is the words from Ez. 36:32, the passage that hangs on a campaign banner on the wall in our worship center. From that verse the summary of a heart change are the two joined words – “God-willed”.
But let me ask a question. Is it possible that you and I think we are “God -willed” but just maybe we have a ways to go? How about a deeper question – what does it mean to be “God-willed” in the area of generosity?
We have a God who is profoundly generous toward us and desires that we would have a heart of generosity with our time, our talents and our money. Let me point out some key biblical principles that define whether a person is “God-willed” in generosity as it relates to giving. If we regularly struggle with these or haven’t embraced these…..we just may fall into the category of “stingy”.
· A God-willed heart knows that our giving is merely returning to God what rightly belongs to Him. Ps. 24:1
· A God-willed heart knows that people’s lives are worth more than money, time and possessions. Luke 19:10
· A God-willed heart knows and embraces that God loves a cheerful giver.
II Cor. 9:7
· A God-willed heart is willing to move toward sacrificial giving – not just when it is easy. II Cor. 8:2
· A God-willed heart grasps the depth of God’s generosity to us in Christ and realizes that our giving is an instrument and tool in His kingdom. II Cor. 9:14
· A God-willed heart gives the first and the best to God. Prov. 3:9-10
· A God-willed heart knows that generous giving is an act of worship. I Cor. 16:2
I read what I just wrote and recognize that God is not at all done with me yet. God is still working on my heart and He still cares and is giving me mercy. I must believe that by the power of the Holy Spirit He will continue to work on my heart to help me become more “God-willed”.
Would you be willing to join with me on that journey where we as a church are becoming more God-willed? Would you also be willing to pray fervently about giving financially toward our building campaign with a spirit of generosity? When a God-willed generosity grows in us, we become a church that God uses us to impact the lives of people inside and outside our walls.
May God give us hearts of generosity with our money, our time and our very lives! May the kingdom of Christ grow through GREFC!